University of Wisconsin-Stout Online
EDUC 760 E-Learning for Educators
Historical background and current trends in online learning. Concepts and foundations of evidence-based practices for successful teaching online. E-learning theory, principles, course management systems, accessibility, copyright, and web-based technology tools.This course is an approved elective in the Master of Science in Education online degree program and is the introductory course in the E-Learning and Online Teaching Graduate Certificate.
EDUC 762 Assessment in E-Learning
Performance-based assessment, summative and formative feedback methods to assess student learning in the online classroom. This course is an approved elective in the Master of Science in Education online degree program and is one of the required courses for individuals pursuing the Graduate Certificate in E-Learning and Online Teaching.
DePaul University School for New Learning
Since September 2012
- Coach graduate and undergraduate students of competency-based program to develop their stated focus area of study.
- Apply active listening, critical thinking, and relationship management skills to pinpoint student needs and provide ongoing timely feedback.
- Evaluate, revise, edit and assess student work in their focus area, including advanced projects, to ensure the standards of profession are met at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Participate in academic committee meetings with student and faculty advisor.
- Provided research, writing, and analysis for KnowledgeWorks publications and policy reports as a part of the Ohio Education Matters subsidiary and Ohio Smart Schools initiative.
- Primary Research Areas: Learning differences, international, national and regional education policies/programs that support the future of education, and innovative educational technologies.
- Collected, analyzed and reported data on topics related to proposed legislation and educational reforms.
- Consistently met deadlines and exceeded research quotas.
- Liaised with senior management and staff to ensure the successful completion of the project within given time frame.
- Engaged with experts and peers in the field of education policy and reform.
Excel Educational Services
- Increased student achievement by differentiating instruction and providing remediation for K-12 twice exceptional students and those diagnosed with specific learning or attention difficulties.
- Implemented specialized, multi-sensory techniques, neurocognitive technologies and instructional technologies.
- Designed curriculum for and taught annual summer "Digital Reading Camp" hybrid courses for 6-12 year old students. (2008-2014)
- Instructed students from the primary to university level in study skills and all subject areas, such as math, reading and writing.
- Applied adult learning theories to design and facilitate annual professional development workshops and instruction for administration, teaching staff and parents.
- Collaborated with directors and administrators to design and develop institutional protocols and guidelines.
- Created and designed rubrics and graphic organizers for school-wide use.
- Advocated for students and their parents by helping them navigate the Chicago Public Schools Special Education System.
- Administered and interpreted diagnostic evaluations as well as formative and summative assessments.
- Communicated effectively both verbally and in writing through progress reports, emails and memos.
- Managed, designed, and implemented individual learning plans for a caseload of thirty-five learning disabled students at Near North Montessori School annually.
- Mentored students by guiding them towards resources that help them achieve their educational goals.
- Maintained and retained 98% of clients by building rapport through consistent feedback and communication.
- Consistently met deadlines.
Hellenic Family and Community Services
to January 1993
- Managed all job placement services of this non-profit social service agency.
- Designed and facilitated elder care job training seminars for home care workers.
- Interviewed qualified candidates for jobs.
- Organized annual community job fairs.
- Provided language translation and interpretation services.
to August 1990
- Taught all subjects to a self-contained 9-12 year old behavior disordered class.
- Formulated of annual Individualized Education Plans.
- Incorporated special learning strategies for learning disabled students encompassing self-questioning, rehearsal and review, cognitive behavior modification, social skills, organization & memory strategies.
- Differentiated instruction to meet students’ individual needs.
- Supported student learning and development through coaching and mentoring efforts.
to May 1989
- Taught seminars on study strategies and campus safety.
- Served as a resource and referral agent for university and community services.
- Created and facilitated the campus-wide “Superwomen” lecture series on careers for women.
- Identified and developed strategies to assist undergraduate students in the resolution of problems.
- Collaborated with residence hall council to promote community development.
- Supported, interpreted, and enforced community behavior standards and policies.
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
to July 2011
Graduate research in professional studies focused on the application of cognitive enhancement technologies to educational settings. This involved analyzing neuroscientific learning theories, brain compatible teaching methods, cutting edge cognitive enhancement technologies, brain and nervous system anatomy and the brain fitness market.
University of Illinois-The Liautaud Institute
Trained in PdEI* (Process and Protocol designed for increasing Emotional Intelligence). Studied ISO Processes and Positive Psychology Practices (Protocol) for managing teams; and analyzed the four major social characteristics of emotional intelligence: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management.
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Menomonie, WI
to November 2012
Trained in online course design, facilitating and assessing online learning, creating collaborative communities in e-learning, Moodle, Desire2Learn, Blackboard, and Web 2.0 tools.
E-learning and Online Teaching Portfolio: http://roumanportfolio.weebly.com/index.html
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
to November 2010
Eighteen credit-hour coursework included: Instructional Design, Facilitating Adult Learning, and Evaluating and Assessing Adult Programs including, ADDIE, Universal Design, and Understanding by Design (UBD).
DePaul University, Chicago, IL
to November 2009
Eighteen credit-hour certificate coursework: Personal & Organizational Change, Leadership, Ethical Reasoning, Cultural & Human Differences, Interpersonal Dynamics, and Modes & Processes of Systematic Inquiry.
Loyola University, Chicago, IL
to January 1990
Undergraduate degree included coursework specializing in teaching students with learning disabilities and social/emotional disorders.
Presenter, “The Neuroscience of Mentoring and Learning,” Alumni Seeking Knowledge (ASK) Event, DePaul University, Chicago, IL January 15, 2013.
Presenter, “What is Cognitive Fitness?” Evening of Cognitive Fitness Seminar, Dana Foundation Brain Awareness Week Seminar, Skokie, IL, March 13, 2012.
Lecturer, “Cultural Reciprocity in Education,” Undergraduate Seminar in Culture and Gender (SNL HC 204) DePaul University, Chicago, IL July 17, 2012.
Lecturer, “Culture, Gender and Learning”, Undergraduate Seminar in Culture and Gender (SNL HC 204) DePaul University, Chicago, IL January 31, 2012.
Facilitator, “Digital Games for Learning”, Teacher Seminar, Near North Montessori School, Chicago, IL December 2011.
Facilitator, “Using Graphic Organizers for Teaching”, Staff Training Workshop, Near North Montessori School, Chicago, IL.
Facilitator, “Navigating the IEP Process”, Parent Seminar, Near North Montessori School, Chicago, IL.
Facilitator, “Effective Teaching Strategies for Reading”, Annual Staff Training Workshop, Near North Montessori School, Chicago, IL.
Instructor, “Digital Reading Camp”, Annual Summer Camp Course for 6-12 year old students, Near North Montessori School, Chicago, IL.
Chicago Area Brain Network (Founder & Facilitator)
DePaul University ASK (Alumni Sharing Knowledge) Program Career Mentor
Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society
SEED (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity) Project on Inclusive Curriculum
SharpBrains Council For Brain Fitness Innovation
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
The International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL)
CAEA (Center to Advance Learning for Adults)